Monday, November 30, 2009

Worship, Raindrops and Tears

Another Sunday in Lusaka, and we were off to a different church. The churches that have GEMS Girls’ Clubs, all want us to come and worship with them. This Sunday, it was the Mtendere Pentecostal Holiness Church. Joyce is the Club Coordinator there, we had made arrangements on Friday, for her to come for us this morning. We were hoping this meant by car, because we have been warned multiple times that Mtendere is a very dangerous place and we should not walk there. Mtendere is the largest and most populated compound. The markets in Mtendere are on every street, they are selling everything from the roadside. Some sell from makeshift stands, and some place their wares right on the ground. The streets are narrow as the sellers take up much of the streets selling their wares, they use both sides of the road. You will find clothing, vegetables, fruits, fish, chickens, tires, beds and furniture, anything you can think of to be sold. First there are the vendors on the sides of the roads and in front of them walking in the street are all the shoppers. So the cars and minibuses traveling the very bumpy dirt roads, are zig zagging like ants. I think part of the reasons that we have been told to not walk into Mtendere, is for the fact, it is a very dangerous place to walk and not be hit by a vehicle.



We were quite relieved when we heard a car pull in front of the gate shortly after 8:30. Then the knock on the gate, telling us they were here. It was Joyce and Mr. Phiri, a deacon from her church. The car was a 1993 Toyota and it was scraping the ground and making some very strange noises, but after maneuvering around all the people in the streets of Mtendere, we pulled up to a very nice church. It was one of the nicer churches that I have worshipped at during my stays in Lusaka. We were ushered into the front, we sat on the right side of the church. There were benches on the each side and a large center section. Stephanie was just remarking about the quality of the benches, when someone came and said that we needed to sit in the center section, second from the front. In plastic chairs rather than benches, these chairs are for the Pastor’s and special guests. I guess we are special guests!


They are in the midst of a Sunday School lesson about respect. Stephanie and I have had multiple discussions about respect. It is looked at so much differently here in Zambia, than in North America. We looked at each other, and think maybe this was God’s way, of helping us to understand respect here in Zambia. The teaching went on til 9:00 and then the praise team came forward, and led us in worship and prayer. They had a drummer, keyboard and bass guitar along with nine men and nine women singing. Following the praise and worship, we were told that each of the choirs from the church would be singing for us this morning. Starting with the children’s choir, at about this time Joyce came and tapped Stephanie and said come with me. “Barb, too?” She asked. “No, no, no, just you.” She followed Joyce to the rear of the church. Soon the choir came dancing down the aisle, singing as they came forward. It started with very young girls, maybe five years old, and went all the way up to Stephanie and Joyce. (Stephanie does not appreciate that they think is a young girl here.) They sang and danced until they were in three rows in front. Then Joyce introduced the Children’s Choir and said that Stephan (that’s how they all say Stephanie here) was here to sing and dance with them. Her sister from GEMS. Then she proceeded to tell the congregation that her mother was there also, and it only took a second, but I knew she was referring to me. She called me up and introduced me as her mother, and handed me the mic. OK, I had picked a passage during my quiet time this morning, thinking it would happen like last week at the end of the service, so I would be prepared……but always expect the unexpected in Africa. I was so busy wondering why they call me mother, I never even took my Bible out of my bag. Mother, is it because I am so old, many times here Jan is referred to moma Jan or mum, I think it must be an honor.  At least that is the way I am going to view it.  To be considered Joyce’s sister in Christ, I totally understand, but this a newer concept for me to consider. I bring greetings and thank them for supporting their GEMS club, and thank Joyce for her leadership. Tell them who I am and where I’m from and introduce Stephanie as well. Then before, they rope me to singing and dancing, I return to my seat. The girls sing three more songs, and Stephanie follows their movements so well, stepping and sliding her feet, clapping and moving in sync with them. They dance out of the front, and Steph takes her seat beside me. Next comes a mixed choir of men and women, dancing and singing down the aisle. Next, a men’s group and lastly the women’s choir. After all the choirs are finished, the offering is taken. Then a second offering for missions is collected. Finally it is time for the Pastor’s message. He preaches from I Corinthians about the cross of Christ. After he finishes, he calls the elders and deacons forward, and they are going to celebrate communion. As they uncover the table, I see large glasses and bags of bread. They scoop the bread like wafers into dishes and begin filling the large glasses full almost to the top. First, the elders and deacons take the bread, and then they pass the same glass to each person, all taking a drink, wiping the edge of the glass, and passing it to the next person. Oh dear! All for being careful what we eat and drink in Zambia, how is this going to work.


The pastor asks every other row to turn around, so you facing a brother or sister in Christ. First the bread is served, and you tell each other, Christ gave his life for you. Next comes the juice, and it works the same way, it comes down the row toward me, each person takes a drink, wipes the edge and passes it on. I really felt OK about it! Better than I had imagined I would when I first saw the large glasses and guessed what they would do.


The pastor ended the service, and a deacon came and asked us to join the pastor in his office. There we were served Orange Fanta and flat shortbread cookies. While the pastor asked us lots of questions. When did you arrive? When are you leaving? What are you doing here? What things don’t you like about Zambia? He asked Stephanie if she planned to marry a Zambian. He asked us what our occupations are.  What do we think of Zambia?  and on and on! Between each answer, there were long pauses, as he munched on his cookie and drank his Orange Fanta. We both thought this very interesting. A knock came at the door, and it was the deacon, who had picked us up telling us that he was ready to drive us back. We thanked the pastor and took our leave.


It had become very hot while we were in church, but the deacon said it will rain this afternoon and cool things down a bit. The sky was filled with clouds and there were some dark ones in the distance.


We were about out of food, and Siwali didn’t come in on Saturday, so we didn’t get to the grocery store. We had talked before church about a walk to Debonaire’s for pizza after church. When we got back we changed our clothes and headed out hoping to beat the rains. We got to Debonaire’s ordered our pizza and decided on an outdoor table. We had just sat down when it started to rain, and it came down in buckets! Then suddenly it was hailing with the rain, how strange to see hail in Zambia. We had the perfect table, we were under the roofs overhang and the rain was not bothering us at all. Our pizza came we ate it, and the rain stopped. We head out and begin our walk back, we are about half way, near the corner of Kudo Road when the rain starts again in earnest, we take shelter with our umbrellas up against the wall of one of the homes. The water is rising at our feet, and the pizza box slips out of Steph's hand, as I am digging in my bag to get the camera to capture this moment.  Several taxis’ want to come to our aid, but we are reluctant to ride with anyone we don’t know. We wave them on, the rain lets up a little and we think we can make it to the Petroda station. Not so much, the rain begins again, and dowses us, we are soaked, the wind is blowing, the rain is hitting us all over, and we trudge on. We stop at Petroda and wait it out, soon it lets up, and we finish our walk without any more rain. In  fact, no more rain the whole afternoon!


This is just before Steph drops the pizza box.  I took it by accident, trying to hold the umbrella, get the camera out and take our picture.

We look way to good, considering we are backed against the wall with our umbrellas, getting soaked!  And turning away all the requests of men wanting to come to our aid!

After we are back, dried out and relaxing on this Sunday afternoon, there is a knock at the gate, one of the counselors is coming for more labels and thread for her potholders.  I give her what she needs.  She begins to walk out, and stops, looking back, says she is in need of prayers.  She tells us that her niece who she is caring for since her sister has passed a few month ago, has not been feeling well.  She had taken her to the clinic yesterday, her niece is named Beauty, she has tested positive for AIDS.  She says she is to young, and needs time to grow. I assure Margie of our prayers for Beauty. 

Margie was one of the ladies who was here for prayer time on Friday, and as I watched her beg the Lord to shine His love and mercy, care and protection on GEMS, she blessed me so.  Now it is my time to beg the Lord to send His healing mercies down on Beauty and for peace and grace for her Aunt Margie, as she care for her. To pray as fervantly for Beauty and all the other suffering children, as Margie does for GEMS!  God is continuing to open my eyes, that I might see, how I might reach out to others.  I ask for your prayers for Beauty and Margie, too.

When I think of all we are doing it makes me smile and feel like lives are being touched and changed here in Zambia because of GEMS, but then when I hear these stories, the tears well up within me and I wonder can it ever really change.  Will there ever be less death and suffering among the children here?  I pray that it will be so.

Today was a day of worship, I so enjoyed the music and choirs at the church. I think about the times when my Pastor begins a morning of worship with the words "As Christians gather all over the world today."  They ring true with a deeper meaning for me.  While my family is still sleeping, I have been worshipping with brothers and sisters in Christ here in Zambia.  I also enjoy, how the Zambian people truly worship, with their whole beings with no regard to the clock. And the rain, it was OK too. It is the tears welling up within, make the biggest impact on today.






No comments: