Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Is Christmas Really Coming?




This morning I awoke very early. The sun comes up around 4:30 now, and by 5:00 is brightly shining in my window which faces east. I’ve tried wearing the blindfold you get on the airplane, and it helps some. As soon as it is light, the night guard starts moving about, sweeping outside my window. I hear his footsteps and movement of chairs and splashing of water from the rain barrel, as he washes himself. I grab “My Utmost for His Highest” and my Bible, and spend some time reading. I’d never be up this early at home, but I’m not in bed at 9:00 either. It gets dark here later than it ever has, usually it is dark around 6 pm, but at this time of the year, it isn’t totally dark until about 7 pm.



We have to make sure we do our bathing, before 8 pm, cause shortly after 8 the water goes off. You can still get water, just hot water, from the hot water holding tank, but it is too hot to bathe in. We usually go right from dinner, to bathing. Then we have this long evening before us, some nights Stephanie puts a movie into her computer that we watch. I’ve been doing lots of reading. Really enjoying “Listening for God.” Finished a couple of fiction novels I brought and still have one to read about African finances. I’m told that one may be very helpful, as I struggle with how the Zambian people think about money. We are usually ready for bed about 9 and think it must be at least 11.


Today, both Stephanie and I are continuing to have some intestinal issues. Not sure what triggered that, but….not pleasant. We had planned to travel to Chongwe today, but that isn’t a good idea, neither of us wanted to be away from the facilities, for very long. Change of plans nothing new, we are picking up the Zambian style. This morning, Steph and Siwali went to get groceries and I walked to the bus stop where Helen Kaunuda meets Mtendere, and hailed a taxi to take me to Kamwala. I needed to purchase more fabric for Clara’s potholders.


How things have changed from our early trips when we only traveled with the “herd!” Then later trips, when we’d divide and conquer, and do it in twos or threes. Today, I headed to Kamwala all by myself, without even our trusted driver to keep an eye on me. I asked God to go with me and protect me.  How often in the US do we leave our homes, with those prayers coming from our lips?  We may if there is a snow storm or really bad weather, but everytime we rush out of the door, do we ask for God to go before us. There was a very new looking taxi God chose that one for me, the driver was a very nice young man, his name was Amon. He dropped me right in front of Mr. Patel’s store, and said he would wait, I was pretty sure he would, I hadn’t paid him. I made a mental note, his car was white, and his shirt was red! I made my purchases and one of Mr. Patel’s men, carried it out for me. I looked into the street and there were about eight white cars! Oh my, I just need to find the right white car with the red shirt. Suddenly, I hear “over here Madam” and there is my taxi and Amon. As we are getting near to the stop, where I got into his car, I ask if he can bring to my house, “yes, yes.” I proceed to tell him where to turn, and he says he knows where I am staying, at the old EOH office. I wondered how he knew that, I didn’t hail him, until I was at the bus stop corner. He turns and looks at me in the back seat, with a big grin and says “you stand out here, Madam.” I guess we do!


Lunch didn’t sound so good, so I skipped that. Did have part of a piece of banana bread so I could take my malaria pill I hadn’t taken earlier.


It started out as a bright sunny day, and all of the sudden, it was thundering, in the next few minutes, the sky opened up and the rains came down like crazy, for about 10 minutes. Then as quickly as it started it was all over and the sun was back out and it was a beautiful afternoon. Steph and I were both glad today we got to watch it from inside the house and not standing under an umbrella outside!


While the rain came down, Siwali took shelter in the porch area, I thought this a good time for us to talk. I asked if he could advise me on some things. I brought him a piece of the banana bread I had made on Friday. I asked him to taste it and see if he thought that the ladies could sell this at the markets. He said he thought they would be better off selling it at gas stations all over Lusaka. He said that there is a demand for this kind of food there more than in the roadside markets. We talked about how they would be able to bake it on their braziers. He wasn’t sure about that one, but said when he was in Central Province, he had seen ovens made of bricks. I thanked him for his wisdom and he said the bread was very good and he liked it a lot. “It will sell.”


Shortly after Siwali’s taste test, he came back into the house.  He had a counselor from a new club in Chikumbi with him. She had talked with Kathy while she was here, but wasn’t able to visit before Kathy left. She was Monica Mwanza, she was at training last April. At that time her husband who is a pastor was at a church in Katua. They have moved just a short time ago, to pastor a new Deliverance Church in Chikumbi. We talked and shared about our families. She said the location where their new church is located is in a very rural area and there is much farming done there. She said it is difficult to get the families to attend Sunday services, because they will work the fields on Sunday, just like any other day. She said that there are about 50 faithful attendees. She has already begun a new GEMS club there, she started with 4 awareness girls and now has 5, and with 4 advanced and now has 8. I was able to give her the materials she needed. She had already completed the intro books with the girls. She was a delightful counselor and I was so happy to be able to spend time getting to know her better.


Before Monica left, Catherine arrived. She walked Monica through the lessons, and showed her all the things that Kathy had displayed for the different badges. It was so nice that she could do that, as Catherine knows exactly what goes with what.


After, Monica left Catherine and I headed to the kitchen, where I explained to her what a recipe was. She had never heard of a cookbook. Nor had she heard of teaspoons, tablespoons or measuring cups. We talked about how the counselors would measure amounts. If the recipe called for a cup, she said they would use whatever cups they have and some would be a small tea cup and others a large mug, whatever they might have. Which makes me think we will have to provide a measuring cup along with the bread pans, to get them started.


We followed the recipe, Catherine stirring in every ingredient and checking me to see if I was correct. She knew what all the ingredients were, but she said the women would not use milk, but substitute water for the milk. Not sure how that would work, but she assures me it would be fine. I think, I’ll head to the internet and see if I can find a recipe that doesn’t use milk. There is no milk in either of the pumpkin or zucchini recipes I brought.


While the bread baked Catherine sent an email, and I showed her the video our club had made for our sister club. We also, looked at both Steph’s and my families pictures. When the bread came out of the oven Catherine, was just beaming. I gave her a warm loaf to take and share with her husband, she was very pleased. She said she would make this banana bread for their Christmas dinner.


We talked about how it the bread could be baked on a brazier, she said she could do it. She bakes scones and this would be just like it. I asked how many of the counselors might have an oven, she said only two. I asked if the other ladies knew how to bake on their braziers, she thought maybe two, but she could teach them. So….next Monday, she is going to come and bring a pumpkin and we are going to bake pumpkin bread on the brazier! How fun is that going to be!


Had a light dinner of part of a baked potato and some fresh green beans. It didn’t set so well, with either one of us:)  Hopefully tomorrow will be better, but we are pushing Chongwe back another day. Not going to be tomorrow. Steph got to skype her mom and sisters who are together in Chicago. She enjoyed chatting with them. Shortly after her call, the power went out, and we sit in the dark and listen to Christmas music. We speak of what a change it will be when we leave here 10 days before Christmas and return to our homes and families all deep into the Christmas spirit.

There is no indication that Christmas is coming here, not in my surroundings or in my spirit!  How sad that makes me feel.  Do I get so wrapped up in all the decorating, planning, shopping that this is what Christmas feels like to me?  As I contemplate why, is it because it is warm, sunny and rainy here?  Or because there are no decorations?  No mention of advent, as in our churches prior to Christmas?  Because I've no lists of gifts to buy, no holiday baking or shopping to do?  Or perhaps no parties, programs or special Christmas open houses?  Why do I not feel excited about Christmas coming?  I've been listening to Christmas music on my ipod, but it still doesn't stir me to feel like I do when I'm home preparing for Christmas.  I think it must be a heart thing.  God is working on my heart, growing it, changing it and maybe opening my eyes too.  Helping me to see that Christmas isn't all about decorations, gifts, food, shopping and parties.  It is about His gift of salvation through His Son Jesus. Yes, that is what I will think on today!  His GIFT to me!














1 comment:

Marva's "Marvalous" Memories said...

my guess is that the stomach problem came with the community communion cup!!