Saturday, June 5, 2010

Dusty Feet

Not until you've walked the dirty, dusty roads in Kalingalinga, Africa can you comprehend how dirty ones feet can get.  Even on the shortest of journeys through the compound.  I walk carefully, lifting my feet so as to not make any additional dust, but to no avail.  After every trip through the compound I head to my bathtub and drop in my feet!  Scrubbing away the ground in dirt from the soles of my feet and between my toes. 

What a task, not only do you drop you sandals at the door, you need to wash your feet!  Sometimes I do this multiple times in the same day.

As I sat on the edge of the tub, this morning, once again washing my dirty feet, I thought of the story from John 13, where Jesus washes the disciples feet.

It is only now after walking these roads, do I get a better picture of what Jesus did.  I'm pretty sure the ground in and around the upper room, was fairly similar to the ground here in Africa.  The disciples feet must have been quite dirty after their trek to Jerusalem. 

John 13:14 -15

Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet.  I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.

OK washing my own dirty feet is one thing, but would I really want to wash someone else's dirty feet. These are really dirty feet, caked on dirt, dirt between your toes, ground into the soles of your feet and you take this dirty foot in your lap and wash it.  That is truly serving others!  How many times have I missed an opportunity to serve someone, because I was blinded by not wanting to get dirty or take the extra time or even get involved? 

It doesn't tell me in the scripture that I can pick and choose who I serve, it tells me to be a humble servant and do any menial task for others, so that they will see the love of Christ in me!

No comments: