Sunday, May 16, 2010

Give Thanks for Screens!



Today, I cleaned my bedroom and bathroom. It had been a week, and there is no way to describe the dirt and dust that comes into the houses here. I think only Lia can understand, because she lived in South Africa and I don’t think it is any different there than here. The windows are open from when you get up, until sun set. There are no screens, have you ever been thankful for screens, if not, do be thankful for screens! They keep out the flies, mosquitoes, and some of the dust and stuff blowing through the air. I swept under the beds, there are three beds in my room, and I couldn’t believe all the dirt I collected! It is crazy that it could be so bad in just one week, with just one person walking in and out of the room.
 
 

The dirt from one week in my bedroom!

When you get ready to prepare a meal, you always wipe off the counters before you take out any food. And even if you totally wiped them down after the last meal, your rag will be brown with dust. And we seldom open any windows in the kitchen, because it brings in the flies even worse. But the dust still gets on every surface.

Today marks a new experience for me. From noon on I will be home alone for the next few days. The girls, Sophie and Mary have gone away for a few days to spend time talking to the Lord. It can be difficult here, because living in the GEMS Service Center, even though we post our hours when we are open, there are always counselors passing through. Either from areas outside of Lusaka who need to pick up some supplies, or counselors from the area who just want to bring us greetings. Then there are the random knocks on the gate, of men and women seeking employment. There are more now since we put up the GEMS sign outside the gate. There are the neighborhood children who just want to come and see the mazoongos (white people.) Or neighbors who don’t have water and usually get it from the local well, which is monitored by someone they hire to turn it off and on. But when our water is out, so is the water from the public well. For the people here who don’t have running water in their homes (and there are many) they pay a fee, and twice each day at 6 hours and 15 hours the water is turned on and they can get their containers filled. If the water comes back on at 7 hours they know that they won't be able to get any until 15 hours and then it may be out again. So when th know the water has come back on, they will come knocking at our gate so they can fill their containers without having to wait until the well is turned on later in the day. Not to mention the men who come seeking wives, and wanting to see if Mary and Sophie, are interested in marriage.

Thus the girls wanted to get away and spend time with God, without interruption, seeking His direction, on their ministry here. I am good with being alone. I feel very safe. First there is the gate, and then every door and window is covered with rebar grilles, and there are I think somewhere around 5 or 6 padlocks between me and the outside. At night we have a night guard who comes at 18 hours (it is just getting dark then) and we let him out at 6 each morning. He sits outside all night; I would think he must be totally chilled by morning.


My Room

                                                               No one is getting in through here!


The front door with all the slide bolts and padlock.  It has just one on it now, but you could have three!

                         The veranda gate just outside the front door with its slide bolts and padlocks.

The main gate with its two padlocks,
I don't think I could be any safer!

No comments: