Sunday, May 16, 2010

Water and Wind

Water and Wind


What do you think of when you think of water? My first thoughts go to Lake Michigan and walking along the shore and feeling the water rush through my toes. When I think of water at home, I think of a great forceful shower on my head, all the hot, warm or cold water I could ever want.

What do I think of when I think of water in Zambia? Make sure you bathe before 8pm or the water is turned off. Oh, and then it is turned off whenever they (not sure who they are) feel the need to. It has been off since about 10:00 yesterday morning. But we are prepared, we have a basin of water in the tub, at least we can wash our feet before bed. We have jugs in each bathroom to flush the toilets. Oh, and we have a sink full of dishes that can’t be done until it comes back on. When we cook, we use bottled water, so we are good there! Glad I did my laundry first thing yesterday morning, before it went off.

It makes you so thankful when you have water. Even when the force from the faucet is puny. So much so, that you wonder if you can get all the shampoo out of your hair. Oh, and then regulating the water temp, it takes about 4 minutes to get the hot water coming, and then if you add cold to it, it immediately cools the hot water off so much that you freeze. You spend most of your bathing time trying to regulate the water temperature to be not to cold or to hot! But I am so thankful there is water, most of the time! We’ve had more trouble this time with the water going off, than with the electric! PTL! We’ve only been in the dark two nights and not for more than 20-40 minutes each time! PTL!

What do you think of when you think of wind in Michigan! Once again, my thoughts turn to the beach where there is usually a breeze coming in off Lake Michigan. Ever been to the beach, when it whips the sand into your face, hair and all the folds of your skin? If you picture that, you can picture walking down the road in Kalingalinga. The wind whips the dirt (not sand) into your face, hair and all the folds of your skin. I never leave the house without my sunglasses mostly to protect my eyes from all the dust. The rainy season, just ended in April, and now it will be dry until next November. Already the dry ground is spewing the dust in every direction. Into the houses, cars and unto the people! It’s a crazy thing! It has been very windy here the past few days. Siwale says it is early this year, to be so windy already. The wind also effects our internet connection, when it is blowing we can’t get our reception. Oh the joys of Zambia!

No comments: