Sunday, May 16, 2010

My Fourth Sunday in Africa!

This was an unusual day! This was my first full day of being alone, without my housemates. I was up at 6 to let the guard out! Woke up at 5 worrying that I’d over sleep and he’d have to pound on the door to wake me up, but then fell back to sleep just before the alarm sounded at 6. Decided to go to the 11:00 service today, Miracle Life Family Church has three morning services, and I thought if I went to the late service it would break up my day some. Today was the last Sunday in the rented church building, which was a tavern and disco before. Miracle Life has been renting there for the last six years, next Sunday we will meet in the new building.


The Pastor is an American, and I enjoy his messages. He preaches very American, but the church is filled with mostly Africans, some Asians and a few whites. The service is more similar to our services. We have a half an hour of praise and worship, then about 15 minutes of announcements. The message is usually about 45 minutes. The service lasts 1 ½ hours, by having multiple services, they can’t go past that time.

I do miss the true African churches; I love how they worship in those churches. I do not miss being the guest of honor and having to speak and bring greetings each time I attend. Nor do I miss them announcing how much the offering was today, because of the generosity of our American visitors. That is embarrassing! I would rather bless someone without it being announced!

After church I returned home and called Bob on skype, he was driving Melissa through Tennessee in the pouring rain. He said they were still making good time. When they stop tonight, he will continue on in the rental truck, hoping to be home late tonight. He was so surprised that I could call his cell phone from Africa! He didn’t know who I was! Oops, maybe I’ve been gone to long!

I really can’t believe that I have been here for over 4 weeks already. And 4 weeks from tomorrow Bob will fly out to experience Zambia and bring me home! We’ve reached the half way mark! Hooray!

Ida and Dixon (from the house that GEMS built) stopped in this afternoon. They wanted to say hello and wonder when I will be coming to visit them. We got to see them while the team was here, we had a birthday party for all 32 of the kids in all the Kalingalinga houses. There are four houses with 8 children each. I haven’t been to the house that GEMS built to visit since the team left.

Enjoying my Sabbath and preparing for the week ahead. Blessings to all.

No comments: