Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Birds Sing - Rooster Crows and Storms Roll In

This morning began like most of the others, awake before 5, as the sun winked at me, through the sheer curtains.  This morning, I needed to get up and get dressed right away, no lounging in my pj’s, as Clara was going to come very early to collect her fabric. 
Dressed and grabbed my Bible and let the night guard out.  Then in the stillness of the morning sun, I sat outside and started my quiet time.  I think I like doing this, the peace on a new morning.  There was a gentle breeze and the birds were beginning their day, with songs of praise while the rooster declared it is morning, crowing in the compound.

The front yard where I started my day


The front yard


Some of the plants that line the walls





A little before 6:30 there was the timid knock on the gate and Clara was here to get her potholder fabric.  I asked her if she would like a cup of tea, “no mum, I must go.”  As quickly and quietly as she appeared, she left swinging the heavy bag of fabric over her shoulder and she was off.
I went back to the scripture, and this verse just jumped off the page at me.  Isaiah 66:2 “This is the one I esteem; he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word.”  How that describes Clara, a humble servant with a very quiet spirit.
My tummy was rumbling, a good sign?  It needs to be filled?  Maybe some tea and toast would set well.  It seems that tea and toast was a good choice.
Shortly after 9 hours, two of the counselors arrived, Joyce from PHC Mtendere, and Precious from Word of Faith.  Precious had 100 potholders complete, and 100 that she still was putting tags on.  There was another knock on the gate.  This time it was Siwali and his wife.  Siwali was coming to check his email.  I invited his wife in, as it is very warm again today, much too hot to sit in the car.  While Siwali checked his email, I gave his wife Phoebe a tour of the yard, showing her Siwali’s garden and how nice everything looks around the house.  We went inside she immediately began helping Precious sew labels on the potholders.  She is a very beautiful woman, they make a striking couple.





Soon after they left, another knock, and it was Maxihilda and Catherine from AHF, bringing in 100 more potholders.  Maxhilda is pressing me to buy more fabric, she doesn’t want to rush, rush like before.  As much as I assure her there will never be another rush or push like before Kathy left, she says over and over. “We want to do it bit by bit.”  I tell her I will try to have more fabric by the time they come for prayers on Friday.  She says, “You must, no more rush, rush!”  She said they rushed so and worked so long into the nights on the potholders that some became ill.  We surely don’t want that to happen again.
As they are ready to leave, she tells me that they have a Christmas party at her house for the AFM GEMS girls, and that I need to leave them some money for food for the party.  “So I can tell them, we have all this Christmas food, because Barbara left money for us to buy.”  Hummm…interesting! 
Stephanie spent much of the morning trying to get her video editing program to work on her computer; she was getting very frustrated and about to give up until she got home, when she finally got it.  She is pretty good at the African cry the women do, and I laughed as she was so rejoicing with her African  woops.
The ladies left shortly after noon, and I had another piece of toast for lunch.  That too was a wise choice.  I think the worst is over and I am close to being back to normal.  This afternoon, I went through all the things in the cupboards above the closets and made a list of what is here.
It was very warm today, the warmest since I’ve arrived.  The heat slows you down a little!  My thermometer read 93 degrees at around 3:00.  The sun was intense and the breeze was gone.  About 4:30 the clouds started to roll in and we could hear thunder in the distance.  It looked like we were in for a good storm.  When I thought about the rainy season here, I never thought about thunder storms, I just thought it rained every day, as it did the first few days I was here.  There are definitely thunder storms in Africa, and they roll in from the west, just like at home.  I took a picture of the dark sky, but it doesn’t look nearly as dark as it really was.  The rains started shortly after 5pm and it rained so hard, so really, really hard!  It is now just starting to lessen.  Our night guide arrived late, he is usually here around 5:30pm, but we were sure he was late because of the rain.  When he arrived at about 6:15, he was soaked to the skin, and now he sits outside all night.  Maybe he will light off the brazier to dry himself some.  When it is raining, or threatening rain we leave the gates to the outside porch open so he can stay dry, but what do you do when he arrives soaking wet.  I am thankful at least it isn’t cold or won’t get cold tonight.
Today, I think because of having my quiet time out in the yard, with the birds singing and the beautiful flowers all around, I spent much of the day thinking about the contrasts here in Zambia.  Not comparing Zambia to North America, but Zambia to Zambia.  I think I’ll reflect more on that tonight and write about that tomorrow.





 The sky that looked much darker and stormy than the picture shows

No comments: