Saturday, December 12, 2009

Super Duper Saturday!

It was a super, duper Saturday! The power came on some time during the night, we woke up to some lights that were left on, except the power was only back partly, some lights were dim, some wouldn’t come on at all, we had our two eggs on the stove on high for over 30 minutes and the water wasn’t even boiling. Not enough power to make toast, so once we finally got the eggs hard boiled, we had them on bread instead of toast. Then just as I put water on for a cup of tea, the power went totally out again.



We were excited that the power came on at all; it didn’t go out, as it usually does, by the power station selecting who will have power and who won’t. It went off when the storm struck yesterday late afternoon. The last time that happened it was off for three days, so we were pretty sure that we could be in the dark until we left Zambia. God was good and we had power from noon until about five minutes ago when I sat down at my computer to check my emails. I can still journal until my battery goes dead, so I have about 45-60 minutes.


This morning Siwale took me back to the bank, the teller told me yesterday, that they would be open today. When we got there, it was closed, except for their prestige accounts. Guess that’s not me! So I tried an ATM with no success. We headed back and stopped at one of the fuel stations, and they sucked the air out of our vacuum bags of potholders. These guys think that is the most fun thing! They were fighting over who would get to do it; it took three of them to actually complete the task! Then they each had to hold it and feel it before they gave it back to us!


Hurray the power is back on already, that was a short outage, can’t be more than 15 minutes.


This afternoon, we went to Chianda compound with Shawn (a missionary for Assemblies of God Church.) She is involved with a GEMS club in Oasis of Love, and has been helping the clubs that started in the Chianda compound. She has an SUV and it is a good thing, there is no way that we would have been able to get to the church with Siwale’s car. There were huge washouts from the rain and rocks sticking I bet close to a foot out of ground. The roads in the compounds are unbelievable, really shouldn’t even be called roads.

Rocks we drove around, in the road in Chianda compound


The roads in Chianda compound



The market lining the streets in Chianda compound


When women come to GEMS training, the first thing we ask is can you speak, write and read English. We have found out they all say they can, but many cannot. They have heard about GEMS and want a club so badly in their church. They come to training, and get materials to start a club, and then go back and falter, because they can’t read or understand what they read in the materials. That was the case in Chianda. There were four clubs that we were to meet with today, only three were able to attend. They speak very little English, and I was very thankful for Catherine going with us, to help interpret for us. It was a time that we just encouraged them, and learned about who they are. Each one shared about themselves, and what level of GEMS they work with, their struggles and challenges, and how can we help. All but one spoke in their native language, and Catherine translated. After we were all finished they said that they could understand me well, but they can’t speak English well. I was encouraged about that. Catherine plans to meet with them once a month and help them with their English, and go over the lessons and help them prepare. Chianda is a good distance from Kalingalinga, and the ladies don’t have money to take the bus to join the other counselors at the Service Center on Fridays, for prayer time. When we left today, they said they will try to come at least once a month for Friday prayers. Catherine was happy about that, and then they would be getting instruction twice a month, once when she goes to meet with them and once when they come to the Service Center.

The counselors who attended our meeting


While I met with the counselors, Stephanie kept the kids entertained, they played games and sang some songs, and it was a full time job for her. Kids just kept coming and coming, they wanted to touch her skin and hair, she tried to take some pictures, but each time she got the camera out the kids went crazy and all wanted their snaps taken. She deserves a gold star for today!











It is just amazing how the GEMS program encourages these women to learn English, to have more self-confidence and to grow in their faith. We have seen it over and over. There were clubs that we were ready to give up on, they just didn’t get it, until Catherine came along side of them and walked with them through lessons and how to teach the girls. I’m sure we’ll see the same kind of results in Chianda!


Every compound has its own feel. They all are different, from the kinds of houses, and walls or fences. The roads, the people, the markets, even the dirt and mud are different colors. They all look a lot different from each other and yet they all make your heart want to cry out and your hands want to help. In all my seven trips, I had only been to Kalingalinga compound, Mtendere and Hellen Kaunda, so this time has been real eye opening for me, to see Kanyama, and Chianda totally different compounds. Hellen Kaunda and Kalingalinga are very similar, but Mtendere a lot more populated than Kalingalinga plus busier and more dangerous. Kanyama is the biggest and most populated compound in Lusaka.









Each time I think I have a handle on Zambia, I see with new eyes, a new and different area. I’ve learned much riding with Siwale and having him share information and stories about growing up in Zambia. Siwale is very knowledgeable and reads the paper and listens to the news. He is aware of what is happening throughout Zambia and Africa.


When we got back, Catherine and Shawn both came in, Shawn bought some potholders, for some Christmas gifts.  After she had made her selection, she was off.  Catherine lingered, she will be gone tomorrow to Kabwe, leaving very early in the morning and getting back late, so doesn't think she will see us again before we leave early Monday morning.  We got hugs, and more hugs and she just hung on like a clinging vine, I told her I'd be back in 12 weeks with the whole team, she said that is a long time.  I said it would go fast, she couldn't agree!  No, it won't be fast! More hugs, and then she was out the gate door and off to prepare for her big day tomorrow.




I did some more cleaning, and packing. Soon there was a knock on the gate, and Margie came with her GEMS girls, to say good-bye and to sing and recite verses for us. That was so neat, Margie is the best counselor! Before they left, Emely came she just wanted to see us, also we are going to worship at her church tomorrow and she wanted to know if we would be able to find it or did she need to send someone to guide us. When they left we heated our left overs in the microwave and had dinner, we even shared the last piece of chocolate cake for dessert! Yum!


Future GEM


Soon after we were finished eating there was a knock on the gate, and Clara was here with another 100 potholders!  Said she would be back tomorrow with the rest that she has completed.

So far, I feel the widow with the oil, even though I was sure I'd be out of money, I keep having enough to pay for what needs to be paid!  Even without getting any additional from the bank:)

 I finished sweeping and cleaning my room, and then I decided to take my bath. Before I was finished, Stephanie is calling and saying I have a visitor; Maxhilda was here bringing another 100 potholders. I collected those from her and she was on her way, but will be back tomorrow to say good-bye. Her nickname is Chatty Maxhilda, she always has a story!


I can’t believe that tomorrow is our last day here. It has been the best time of developing relationships and spending time getting to know the women. To get an idea into how difficult their lives are here, and how it seems that in most families the woman hold it all together. I can’t tell you how many women who have husband’s still living, talk about them being drunkards and spending all the money they earn on beer. The women, go to market, buy things and resell them so that the family has food, and can possibly have enough to send the children to school. Most of the rest of them are widows and care for their children and some orphan relatives. The greatest burden falls on the women, and when we come along side of them, and love on them, support and encourage them, they blossom like spring flowers in May!


I am so thankful that I have been able to be here, and be part of their lives. If it weren’t for the best husband in the world, encouraging me to follow God’s call and supporting my heart for Zambia, I wouldn’t have had a chance to come along side of these women and love them like I do! I am so blessed!











No comments: