Friday, December 4, 2009

Prayers and Blessings

Today is Friday, December 4, 2009 hard to believe that I’ve been here for two weeks already tomorrow morning. It seems as if I’m just starting to really feel at home, to know more of the ladies names, to get into the African routine, and I loving it! Stephanie is talking about all the good-byes and I’m thinking I just said hello! For her it is a much different kind of good-bye, she doesn’t know when if ever she will be back. She would like to think that when the Esther School opens, she might come and video tape Moneta going to school. Moneta is the girl in the Esther video that she created and was shown at the Girlz Tour event at Sunshine Church in November. Stephanie’s return all depends on life, and where she might be at that point in her life, so she is saying good-bye not knowing if she will ever have a chance to return.



Today was a full day! Starting early, Siwali was here before 7:00 and Catherine just after 7:30, I hadn’t even started my breakfast yet, when Catherine arrived. She came to begin cutting the fabric we bought on Wednesday, so the ladies could take it when they came for prayers this afternoon. Siwali began hosing down and cleaning the locked closet off from the porch, cleaning and scrubbing the floor. When he finished, he and Catherine went to get gifts for the 10 ladies who went above and beyond when it came to getting all the potholders that were needed to go back with Kathy B. I had asked Catherine what we could do for the ladies, we have learned not to give out money as gifts, so how could we bless them as they had blessed us? Catherine came up with a list of food staples that would help them so much! For each lady we purchased 10 kg bags of sugar, 10 kg bags of nshima, 2.5 jars of cooking oil, a large bag of beans, and a box of tea bags. I’m not sure but I am guessing 10 kg’s has to be close to 20-25 pounds. They were large bags, Siwali had to come and bring everything accept for the nshima back because his car was full and to heavy.


When they returned, Stephanie and I went to Manda Hill Mall, to the Game Store with Siwali. They are putting a large addition on to the mall, and have taken away most of the parking, so it is a crazy place to try and move anywhere and find a space to park your car. Finally, Siwali dropped us and told us to call him when we were finished shopping and he would tell us where to meet him. First we went to a book store and bought a world map, the ladies are always asking where we are from, and what is the difference between Canada and the United States, aren’t they all North America. I thought a map on the wall would be helpful for them, and enable us to show them where we live.


Next a stop in Game, and we purchased CD players for each of the EOH houses as a Christmas gift. I also brought along the new GEMS CD’s with the African girls voices on it. The last time Jan was here, the kids at the House that GEMS Built, were asking her for a radio, so she thought a radio with a CD player would be great for each house. We get to bring them to the kids next week!


Two more trips to the ATM machine, now that my card is working, I can’t stop withdrawing kwacha!


We ended our trip with a little treat for Stephanie and me, she said last year when she went to a small restaurant called Kilamanjero’s she had the best milk shake ever, so a milkshake it was for our afternoon treat!


We arrived back at the Service Center, as the ladies where busy praying, and seeking God’s protection on the ministry. I can’t tell you how much it blesses me to see them doing this. For me to hear them praying, singing and crying out to God, with such fervent pleas. My heart is pricked, have I ever prayed as passionately as they are praying, do I ever pray with such abandon that I can raise my hands, fall on my knees with my face to the floor, cry out to God, beg and pled with Him for His hand of blessing on GEMS or for that matter anything. Then to burst forth and sing praises to His name all in the same prayer time. I think of sitting quietly Praying in Color without ever making a sound, God hears all kinds of prayers and He loves for his children to come to him and hears each and every one of our requests, no matter how we pray. Someday, I hope that I come to that point of abandonment and seek God as my African sister do.

 Prayer time ends, and I serve the ladies tea and coffee and fresh muffins I made this morning. They are from a box I brought from home, and they wondered how I made them. They had never heard of ingredients in a box. We learn many things from each other. After they finish their coffee, tea and treat, they work to finish cutting their fabric. It is much easier for them to lay it out on the floor here than to take it with them uncut. Most live in homes with dirt floors, and no tables, so how could they do a good job cutting with those circumstances. Soon, many of the ladies have left, and only five remain. These are five of the ten who worked so hard on the potholders. Catherine says now would be a good time to tell them what we have. I thank them and share that this a gift from us to them, for all their unbelievable hard work to finish the potholders on time. When I tell them, what the gift is they give their African ya hoo! We proceed to tell them, that what we have is very heavy and they will need help, one calls for a cab to help her carry her treasures home, one calls for her two older daughters to come and carry for her, the two others, Emely and Precious say they can do it. They remove their chitanga’s and put the large bags of nshima and sugar on their backs, tie the chitanga around it and off they go, but not before posing for several pictures, with the biggest smiles ever. We have brought them much joy with a gift of food for their families.




Serving the ladies coffee and tea




Maxihilda with her two daughters to help her carry her gift



Emely proudly showing off one of her gifts


Precious just beaming with her chitanga loaded down



Precious helping Emely get her bags on her bag



A high five!



They head out the gate, with bags on their backs, bags of potholder materials and beans, oil and tea bags!  Mostly with joy in their faces!


By the time they left it was well after 6:00 and we just had to reheat some left overs for supper. We finished and I had my bath, yesterday the water was off from 10:00 am until sometime in the night, so a bath tonight was really delightful. It is now almost 9:00 and the power has not gone off, looks to be a total day of power! Water was out from about 10:00 this morning until 3:30 this afternoon, back on just in time for me to make tea and coffee for the ladies!


Tomorrow, is a trip to Kabwe to visit with the clubs in that area, we are meeting them at 14 hours or 2:00 our time. Each day is filled with something to make it special! God just keeps on showering us with His blessings for each new day.






No comments: