Wednesday, December 9, 2009

I've got my Christmas Gift!




Another beautiful day in the neighborhood! Filled with great people and lots of laughter!



Awake really early again this morning, not sure what is up with this 5 AM stuff, other than the sunshine coming in the window! I do get to Skype Bob just about every morning, at 6AM here and 11PM at home. We share the last 24 hours in our lives. Bob had much to share this morning, as Emily was in an accident on her way home from work last night on M-37 right in Caledonia. She slid into the van in front of her on the slippery roads; lost control spun out, crossed the lane of oncoming traffic and ended up in a very deep ditch on the other side of the road. How she wasn’t hit by anyone going north at 5:30PM is a God thing. Her car is totaled, both air bags blew, and she really hit her chin on something, and bruised her arm. Praising God she wasn’t injured more seriously or even killed.


Sat outside around 7 and did my devotions, it is the only time you can be outside and not bake to a crisp. By 8:30 it is way too hot to be in the sun. The sun is so strong here at this time of the year, it only takes a few minutes and you feel like your skin is really burning.


At about 9:00 Siwale and I took off for another batch of fabrics and batting from Kamwala. We got 40 more prints, and 10 more rolls of black. The batting was one of those huge bundles, of 40 meters and it all got squished into Siwale’s back seat. Worst part, is the plastic it is in, is so dirty. I feel bad having to put it in the car. We will have to go and get at least one more maybe two, depending on how many we get out of the 40 meters tomorrow morning. If all our great matheticians were here, I’m sure they could get that figured, I figure the easiest way is to just do it. Especially considering we need 400 more cut before Sylvia gets here tomorrow, to take the material for Ndola with her.


Mr. Patel's store from my seat of honor, next to the fan!


One load of fabrics on the way to the car


Filling the trunk


Steph and Emely carrying in the batting


Catherine jumping on the batting!  Just like a little kid!



 When we got back, we carried everything in, and then Siwale went to pay the guard service. When he got back, he took Stephanie and me to Manda Hill for some shopping and to meet Shawn for lunch at Kilamenjaro’s. Siwale didn’t have to wait for us, as we rode back with Shawn, so she could talk to Catherine about our meeting on Saturday with the clubs in Chianda. Had a nice wrap, but still stuck to the chicken, so what have we eaten here, chicken, chicken, and more chicken, with a few eggs and some PBJ’s. We know what works, and hate to mess with perfection!


When we got back the counselors were here sewing potholders! They just crack me up they keep wanting more and more materials for 100 potholders. When I told them we weren’t giving any more out, they pout and say but what are we going to do tomorrow? I’ve nothing to do if you don’t give me more! But, until we get the batting cut, they are stopped, but they are putting on the pressure, they will be back tomorrow afternoon (so we’d better get it cut in the morning) to get more materials. At this point, I have 1,303 potholders packed and ready to wing their way across the ocean with me!



GEMS friends



We had such a good afternoon with these counselors, stories came out, that I hadn’t heard before, about the team’s trip to Ndola. How Catherine said she still didn’t understand English so well, so she just agreed to everything we asked. She said that was how we ended up in such a dangerous situation, because she didn’t understand everything Jan was asking. We talked and laughed about the trip and one of the younger gals from Word of Faith, Margery doesn’t speak much English, and wants to learn. Catherine and Emely told her how they learned by doing GEMS and reading the lessons. They kept wanting us to say words in nonja, and I kept saying no you need to speak in English, and then they would laugh and say “No, you’re in Zambia, you need to speak the language!” They sang and we talked about Christmas celebrations, it was a great afternoon.







Catherine and I cut all the extra pieces of print fabric, to go along with 12 meter pieces, we get 86 squares out of 12 meters. Then each 12 meter piece, needs another 1 ½ meters to make it 100. We cut and wrapped those pieces inside the 12 meter pieces, right now we have 24 – 100 meter sets complete both print and black, we have another 25 pieces of prints ready to go and 10 rolls of black in the closet. Catherine said she will cut them later, and out of 10 rolls we will get 30 – 8 meter pieces, so we will have a few extra pieces of black. That gives them 4,900 pot holders they can make by April. We are also sending material for 1,000 to Ndola tomorrow with Sylvia, for the five clubs there. Now I just have to figure how many battings we will get out of the 40 meters, Catherine is coming early tomorrow to start cutting those.


I just am so thankful, for this place the Service Center. Where these counselors can come and feel at home, work together, joke together, laugh and have a good time together. But there is so much more than that, they are supporting each other, caring for each other, helping each other, teaching each other. Emely from El Shadai, Precious and Margery from Word of Faith have all learned to sew on the machines since I’ve been here. Maxhilda keeps telling everyone they need to learn how to sew, and they are. I just sit and the smiles come as I listen and watch how they interact and what special friendships are growing through them being here together. God is definitely using this place to transform these counselors’ lives.


We were talking this afternoon, and I said it was going to be Stephanie’s birthday next week, and I asked the ladies how old do you think she will be. They ranged from 15 – 23, I think there was a 15, 18, 19, 21 and 23. I thought wow, that is quite a range, so I asked them how old they thought I was, well, some as young as 45  and up to 60! I had a 45, 49, 54, 57 and 60! Not bad at least no one said 80 or so! I did learn that the new Florence (she was here saying “Hello”) is 57! 57 and caring for 8 children! Wow, that is quite an undertaking. She is a wonderful woman, and is a great mom ma to our kids!


What a great afternoon, nothing earth shaking or amazing, just great fellowship and friendship with these counselors. How blessed and thankful I am that I could be here and be a part of their lives. Making relationships and learning from each other about our cultures, growing together, developing real lasting friendships! Wow, God is so good to me! I am so blessed! What a great Christmas gift I have to take home, all these special friendships!









1 comment:

Marva said...

My back hurts every time I see those ladies sitting on the floor like that!! What a lot of batting! They sure are excited to have something that gives them satisfaction, aren't they!! See you soon!